PROBLEM: OHCI watchdog timeouts inside VirtualBox, probably due to timer wheel rework

From: Michael Thayer
Date: Fri Oct 21 2016 - 11:29:39 EST

Hello Alan (LKML on CC),

Contacting you about this on Thomas Gleixner's (also on CC) suggestion. The short summary is that when Linux 4.8.0 (also tested with a few later kernels) is run on a VirtualBox virtual machine with USB enabled, OHCI fails with the log messages "frame counter not updated; disabled" and "HC died; cleaning up". This seems to be due to the 250 ms interval watchdog running with far too short intervals, which we think is a consequence of the timer wheel code rework. I will refer you to a bug filed in Launchpad<1> for a longer description.

Hope this is of interest to you.

Regards,

Michael

<1> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1634737
--
Michael Thayer | VirtualBox engineer
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | D-71384 Weinstadt

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: RiesstraÃe 25, D-80992 MÃnchen
Registergericht: Amtsgericht MÃnchen, HRA 95603

KomplementÃrin: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
Hertogswetering 163/167, 3543 AS Utrecht, Niederlande Handelsregister der Handelskammer Midden-Nederland, Nr. 30143697
GeschÃftsfÃhrer: Alexander van der Ven, Jan Schultheiss, Val Maher