Re: PROBLEM: OHCI watchdog timeouts inside VirtualBox, probably due to timer wheel rework

From: Alan Stern
Date: Fri Oct 21 2016 - 16:57:22 EST

On Fri, 21 Oct 2016, Michal Necasek wrote:

> Alan,
>
> I'll get back to you on whether increasing the timeout helps, it'll
> take a bit of testing. Does it actually sound plausible that some
> controllers could not get things done in 250ms but could in 275ms?

Not very, I admit.

> I will note that according to the table in <1>, a 250ms timeout with
> a HZ=250 kernel (what Ubuntu uses) falls into the 4ms granularity
> bucket, but a 275ms timeout goes into the 32ms granularity bucket.
> That could change things.

Thomas has noted that there is definitely a bug in the new timer code.

> And as a bit of background... the 250ms timeout should not be a
> problem in a virtualized environment under normal conditions. A ~10ms
> timeout is. What makes things harder is that the watchdog routine
> reads the frame counter from the HCCA, which has to be updated
> asynchronously. Reading from a HC register would actually be more
> expensive but much more reliable in this case. But again, 250ms
> should be plenty...
>
> Another factor is that the OHCI watchdog just kills the driver the
> first time there's a problem, there's no recovery attempt. So it's
> very noticeable when this happens.

I should think so! The whole point of the watchdog is to catch bad
hardware when it starts misbehaving. If that happens, we need to
cancel everything and kill the driver so that it doesn't take large
parts of the system down with it -- which is what used to happen.

Alan Stern