Re: [HMM-v25 19/19] mm/hmm: add new helper to hotplug CDM memory region v3

From: Bob Liu
Date: Thu Sep 07 2017 - 22:02:50 EST

On 2017/9/8 1:27, Jerome Glisse wrote:

> [...]
>
>>> For HMM each process give hint (somewhat similar to mbind) for range of
>>> virtual address to the device kernel driver (through some API like OpenCL
>>> or CUDA for GPU for instance). All this being device driver specific ioctl.
>>>
>>> The kernel device driver have an overall view of all the process that use
>>> the device and each of the memory advise they gave. From that informations
>>> the kernel device driver decide what part of each process address space to
>>> migrate to device memory.
>>
>> Oh, I mean CDM-HMM. I'm fine with HMM.
>
> They are one and the same really. In both cases HMM is just a set of helpers
> for device driver.
>
>>> This obviously dynamic and likely to change over the process lifetime.
>>>
>>> My understanding is that HMAT want similar API to allow process to give
>>> direction on
>>> where each range of virtual address should be allocated. It is expected
>>> that most
>>
>> Right, but not clear who should manage the physical memory allocation and
>> setup the pagetable mapping. An new driver or the kernel?
>
> Physical device memory is manage by the kernel device driver as it is today
> and has it will be tomorrow. HMM does not change that, nor does it requires
> any change to that.

Can someone from Intel give more information about the plan of managing HMAT reported memory?

> Migrating process memory to or from device is done by the kernel through
> the regular page migration. HMM provides new helper for device driver to
> initiate such migration. There is no mechanisms like auto numa migration
> for the reasons i explain previously.
>
> Kernel device driver use all knowledge it has to decide what to migrate to
> device memory. Nothing new here either, it is what happens today for special
> allocated device object and it will just happen all the same for regular
> mmap memory (private anonymous or mmap of a regular file of a filesystem).
>

> So every low level thing happen in the kernel. Userspace only provides
> directive to the kernel device driver through device specific API. But the
> kernel device driver can ignore or override those directive.
>

>>> software can easily infer what part of its address will need more
>>> bandwidth, smaller
>>> latency versus what part is sparsely accessed ...
>>>
>>> For HMAT i think first target is HBM and persistent memory and device
>>> memory might
>>> be added latter if that make sense.
>>>

>> Okay, so there are two potential ways for CPU-addressable cache-coherent
>> device memory
>> (or cpu-less numa memory or "target domain" memory in ACPI spec )?
>> 1. CDM-HMM
>> 2. HMAT
>
> No this are 2 orthogonal thing, they do not conflict with each others quite
> the contrary. HMM (the CDM part is no different) is a set of helpers, see
> it as a toolbox, for device driver.
>
> HMAT is a way for firmware to report memory resources with more informations
> that just range of physical address. HMAT is specific to platform that rely
> on ACPI. HMAT does not provide any helpers to manage these memory.
>
> So a device driver can get informations about device memory from HMAT and then
> use HMM to help in managing and using this memory.

Yes, but as Balbir mentioned requires :
1. Don't online the memory as a NUMA node
2. Use the HMM-CDM API's to map the memory to ZONE DEVICE via the driver

And I'm not sure whether Intel going to use this HMM-CDM based method for their "target domain" memory ?
Or they prefer to NUMA approach? Rossï Dan?

--
Thanks,
Bob Liu