Re: building in 32bit chroot on x86_64 host broken

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Jun 07 2018 - 15:40:47 EST

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 12:35 PM Thomas Backlund <tmb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I can work around it for now (or keep the revert in our kernel builds
> for now) until it gets properly fixed...

So rather than doing the revert, it's probably better if your
workaround just does

make ARCH=i386 oldconfig

(or maybe even just a "export ARCH=i386" in the environment)

That should get you to continue to otherwise do the same thing.

And if it turns out that your flow is the *only* one affected by this,
and nobody else complains, maybe we can just say "yeah, slight change
in build rules, easy to work around" and leave it at that.

Linus