Re: pahole + BTF was: Re: [Question] bpf: about a new 'tools/bpf/bpf_dwarf2btf'

From: Daniel Borkmann
Date: Wed Jul 25 2018 - 20:26:52 EST

On 07/25/2018 10:11 PM, Martin KaFai Lau wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 04:21:31AM +0900, Taeung Song wrote:

>>> Understood, but I think there are many non-kernel developers
>>> developing BPF programs and they mightn't have or use pahole.
>>>
>>> So, if providing the 'dwarf2btf' feature on tools/bpf or tools/bpf/bpftool,
>>> non-kernel developers can also more easily build bpf prog with .BPF, no ?
> Some quick thoughts,
> IMO, I suspect if it is in the distro's pahole package, it should be easy
> enough for kernel and non kernel developer to install.
> BTF usage is still evolving, we might re-evaluate going forward but at this
> point I think leveraging pahole's existing capability is a good option.

Agree, if there will be a future use-case where pahole might not be well-fitting,
we could add it to bpftool then so I wouldn't rule it out, but for the functionality
right now it seems good to reuse it. Presumably BPF developers have it installed
anyway to inspect struct padding from BPF obj files.

Thanks,
Daniel