Re: Vibrations on Droid 4?

From: Sebastian Reichel
Date: Thu Aug 02 2018 - 12:03:34 EST

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 08:58:24PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > Yep, so I have two patches that make the device appear, but vibrations
> > > still do not work for me.
> > >
> > > a) any ideas how to debug that / get them to work?
> >
> > Hmm no new ideas except I wonder if there is also some other
> > regression with the timer pdata not being passed properly now.
>
> I checked vibrations work in original Motorola Android; my hardware is
> not broken.

You got it working, but this information might still be interesting
in case of future problems:

The Android "driver" is very different from the one I wrote from
scratch and upstreamed. The mainline driver is less lines of code
(iirc 25%), less complicated (Android vibration support is spread
over multiple drivers/arch code), more efficient (Android drivers
does GPIO bitbanging instead of PWM) and provides more features
(Android driver does not allow all strength settings). Also it uses
normal input device API instead of a custom one.

P.S.: Sorry, I don't have much time to work on D4 at the moment :(

-- Sebastian