Re: linux-next: manual merge of the kvm-arm tree with the arm64 tree

From: Marc Zyngier
Date: Fri Aug 17 2018 - 05:33:51 EST

On Fri, 17 Aug 2018 09:32:55 +0100,
Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 16/08/2018 02:15, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> >> -#define ARM64_HAS_STAGE2_FWB 31
> >> +#define ARM64_MISMATCHED_CACHE_TYPE 31
> >> ++#define ARM64_HAS_STAGE2_FWB 32
> >>
> >> --#define ARM64_NCAPS 32
> >> ++#define ARM64_NCAPS 33
> >>
> >> #endif /* __ASM_CPUCAPS_H */
> > This is now a conflict between Linus' tree and the kvm-arm tree (and
> > presumably soon the kvm tree).
>
> This should have been sorted out using topic branches. I'll handle it
> myself by splitting the pull request in two, but please try to organize
> better the changes in non-KVM-specific arch/arm and arch/arm64 files.

We've dealt with that kind of trivial conflicts in the past without
requiring topic branches (cpucaps.h has always been a popular place),
and I always assumed that this was acceptable. I must have
misunderstood something here.

Next time, I'll direct the architecture-specific code via the arm64
tree directly.

Thanks,

M.

--