Re: [RFC 0/2] RISC-V: A proposal to add vendor-specific code

From: Palmer Dabbelt
Date: Wed Oct 31 2018 - 13:27:10 EST

On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 04:16:10 PDT (-0700), anup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 4:06 PM Vincent Chen <vincentc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

RISC-V permits each vendor to develop respective extension ISA based
on RISC-V standard ISA. This means that these vendor-specific features
may be compatible to their compiler and CPU. Therefore, each vendor may
be considered a sub-architecture of RISC-V. Currently, vendors do not
have the appropriate examples to add these specific features to the
kernel. In this RFC set, we propose an infrastructure that vendor can
easily hook their specific features into kernel. The first commit is
the main body of this infrastructure. In the second commit, we provide
a solution that allows dma_map_ops() to work without cache coherent
agent support. Cache coherent agent is unsupported for low-end CPUs in
the AndeStar RISC-V series. In order for Linux to run on these CPUs, we
need this solution to overcome the limitation of cache coherent agent
support. Hence, it also can be used as an example for the first commit.

I am glad to discuss any ideas, so if you have any idea, please give
me some feedback.

I agree that we need a place for vendor-specific ISA extensions and
having vendor-specific directories is also good.

What I don't support is the approach of having compile time selection
of vendor-specific ISA extension.

We should have runtime probing for compatible vendor-specific ISA
extension. Also, it should be possible to link multiple vendor-specific
SA extensions to same kernel image. This way we can have a single
kernel image (along with various vendor-specific ISA extensions) which
works on variety of targets/hosts.

As an example or runtime probing you can look at how IRQCHIP or
CLOCKSOURCE drivers are probed. The vendor-specific ISA extension
hooks should called in similar fashion.

Yes, I agree. My biggest concern here is that we ensure that one kernel can boot on implementations from all vendors. I haven't had a chance to look at the patches yet, but it should be possible to:

* Build a kernel that has vendor-specific code from multiple vendors.
* Detect the implementation an run time and select the correct extra code.

This is essentially the same as my feedback for the performance counter stuff, which IIRC is what prompted adding a vendor-specific extensions.

If I was going to do this, I'd split it up such that the vendor-specific additions are per-subsystem. That way we can focus on building a decent interface for each subsystem that needs vendor-specific support rather than just bundling everything together where the vendor-specific stuff will get all tangled together.