Re: remove exofs and the T10 OSD code V2

From: Bart Van Assche
Date: Wed Oct 31 2018 - 13:29:45 EST

On Wed, 2018-10-31 at 18:34 +-0200, Boaz Harrosh wrote:
+AD4 On 27/10/18 11:20, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
+AD4 +AD4 The only real user of the T10 OSD protocol, the pNFS object layout
+AD4 +AD4 driver never went to the point of having shipping products, and we
+AD4 +AD4 removed it 1.5 years ago. Exofs is just a simple example without
+AD4 +AD4 real life users.
+AD4 +AD4
+AD4 +AD4 The code has been mostly unmaintained for years and is getting in the
+AD4 +AD4 way of block / SCSI changes, so I think it's finally time to drop it.
+AD4 +AD4
+AD4 +AD4 Quote from Boaz:
+AD4 +AD4
+AD4 +AD4 +ACI-As I said then. It is used in Universities for studies and experiments.
+AD4 +AD4 Every once in a while. I get an email with questions and reports.
+AD4 +AD4
+AD4 +AD4 But yes feel free to remove the all thing+ACEAIQ
+AD4
+AD4 I think I'm changing my mind about this.
+AD4 +AFs ... +AF0

The osd driver was accepted in the upstream kernel in 2009. I have checked all
commits in Linus' tree for the osd driver that went in since 2009. All changes
made by other kernel developers than you are the result of tree-wide refactoring,
compiler warning fixes, fixes for issues detected by static source code
analyzers or spelling fixes. Hence my question: how big is the user base of the
exofs and osd kernel drivers?

Thanks,

Bart.