Re: KASAN: use-after-free Read in get_mem_cgroup_from_mm

From: Peter Xu
Date: Wed Mar 06 2019 - 03:12:16 EST

On Wed, Mar 06, 2019 at 03:41:06PM +0800, zhong jiang wrote:
> On 2019/3/6 14:26, Mike Rapoport wrote:
> > Hi,

> >> Hi, Andrea
> >>
> >> I still not clear why uffd ioctl can use the incomplete process as the mm->owner.
> >> and how to produce the race.
> > There is a C reproducer in the syzcaller report:
> >
> > https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.c?x=172fa5a3400000
> >
> >> From your above explainations, My underdtanding is that the process handling do_exexve
> >> will have a temporary mm, which will be used by the UUFD ioctl.
> > The race is between userfaultfd operation and fork() failure:
> >
> > forking thread | userfaultfd monitor thread
> > --------------------------------+-------------------------------
> > fork() |
> > dup_mmap() |
> > dup_userfaultfd() |
> > dup_userfaultfd_complete() |
> > | read(UFFD_EVENT_FORK)
> > | uffdio_copy()
> > | mmget_not_zero()
> > goto bad_fork_something |
> > ... |
> > bad_fork_free: |
> > free_task() |
> > | mem_cgroup_from_task()
> > | /* access stale mm->owner */
> >
> Hi, Mike

Hi, Zhong,

> forking thread fails to create the process ,and then free the allocated task struct.
> Other userfaultfd monitor thread should not access the stale mm->owner.
>
> The parent process and child process do not share the mm struct. Userfaultfd monitor thread's
> mm->owner should not point to the freed child task_struct.

IIUC the problem is that above mm (of the mm->owner) is the child
process's mm rather than the uffd monitor's. When
dup_userfaultfd_complete() is called there will be a new userfaultfd
context sent to the uffd monitor thread which linked to the chlid
process's mm, and if the monitor thread do UFFDIO_COPY upon the newly
received userfaultfd it'll operate on that new mm too.

> and due to the existence of tasklist_lock, we can not specify the mm->owner to freed task_struct.
>
> I miss something,=-O
>
> Thanks,
> zhong jiang
> >> Thanks,