Re: Smarter Kconfig help

From: Mark Rutland
Date: Wed Mar 06 2019 - 04:35:31 EST

On Tue, Mar 05, 2019 at 05:31:12PM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux admin wrote:
> Guys,

Hi Russell,

> We need to be smarter when writing Kconfig help. I'm just going
> through updating my build trees with the results of 5.0 development,
> and a number of the help texts are next to useless. For example,
>
> PVPANIC - is this something that should be enabled for a host or
> guest kernel? Answer: you have to read the driver code to find out.

When I looked at the help text:

This driver provides support for the pvpanic device. pvpanic is
a paravirtualized device provided by QEMU; it lets a virtual machine
(guest) communicate panic events to the host.

... it seemed clear to me that this was for a guest, given the text says
QEMU provides the device. I guess you read that as meaning QEMU asks the
host kernel to provide the device to the guest?

Do you have a suggestion for how to word that unambiguously?

> IMX_IRQSTEER - which i.MX SoCs does this apply to? The help text
> just says:
>
> "Support for the i.MX IRQSTEER interrupt multiplexer/remapper."
>
> which doesn't say which SoCs this should be enabled for - it turns
> out that grepping for the driver's DT compatible string, none of
> the 32-bit ARM cores have support for this, yet we still default
> it to enabled there. It seems the help text should at the very
> least tell the user that this is not applicable to i.MX SoCs with
> 32-bit ARM cores.
>
> I'm sure there's many other instances of this... I suspect that
> it's caused by review concentrating mostly on the technical aspects
> of the code and the Kconfig help text just gets forgotten about.

Just to be clear, in general what you want is for Kconfig help to be
clearer about *when* an option is relevant, right?

I'll try to bear that in mind when reviewing in future.

Thanks,
Mark.