Re: [RFC][Patch v9 0/6] KVM: Guest Free Page Hinting

From: David Hildenbrand
Date: Wed Mar 06 2019 - 14:00:22 EST

On 06.03.19 19:43, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

>>> OK so no improvement.
>> If we are looking in terms of memory we are getting back from the guest,
>> then there is an improvement. However, if we are looking at the
>> improvement in terms of time of execution of memhog then yes there is none.
>
> Yes but the way I see it you can't overcommit this unused memory
> since guests can start using it at any time. You timed it carefully
> such that this does not happen, but what will cause this timing on real
> guests?

Whenever you overcommit you will need backup swap. There is no way
around it. It just makes the probability of you having to go to disk
less likely.

If you assume that all of your guests will be using all of their memory
all the time, you don't have to think about overcommiting memory in the
first place. But this is not what we usually have.

--

Thanks,

David / dhildenb