Re: [GIT PULL 4/6] ARM: SoC defconfig updates for 5.1

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Wed Mar 06 2019 - 14:50:15 EST

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 7:15 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Another small side note on these pull requests:
>
> On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 7:35 AM Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > arch/arm/configs/lpc32xx_defconfig | 65
> > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----------------------------------
>
> You have a lot of these kinds of line-wrapped diffstat lines.
>
> The reason is *probably* that you've just cut-and-pasted from your
> (very wide) terminal where you ran your scripts into the email.
>
> Becaue if you run "git diff --stat" normally in a germinal, it will
> take the terminal width into account.
>
> If you run it in a script to a file or pipe, it will default width of
> 80 columns.
>
> You could make your scripts just do "--stat=80" to do that, but you
> might also consider using "xsel" to avoid the cutting-and-selecting
> part, and just do
>
> my-release-script | xsel
>
> to select the output of the script, and then paste it with your mouse...

I used to do that (with xclip), but something changed recently in gmail
that broke pasting the output, which now gets horribly reformatted
unless I copy from the terminal.

I now tried without sucess to set the diff.statGraphWidth git-config
variable. I'll probably just use "git request-pull ... |cat" in the future.
I've done that in the past, but had not realized that I'm currently
causing the bad line breaks.

Arnd