Re: [RFC][Patch v9 0/6] KVM: Guest Free Page Hinting

From: Alexander Duyck
Date: Wed Mar 06 2019 - 18:12:48 EST

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 2:18 PM Michael S. Tsirkin <mst@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 06, 2019 at 10:40:57PM +0100, David Hildenbrand wrote:

> > > Right and the point of hinting is that pages can just be
> > > discarded and not end up in swap.
> > >

> > > Point is you should be able to see the gain.
> > >
> > > Hinting patches cost some CPU so we need to know whether
> > > they cost too much. How much is too much? When the cost
> > > is bigger than benefit. But we can't compare CPU cycles
> > > to bytes. So we need to benchmark everything in terms of
> > > cycles.

> > > Right and let's quantify this. Does this result in net gain or loss?
> >
> > Yes, I am totally with you. But if it is a net benefit heavily depends
> > on the setup. E.g. what kind of storage used for the swap, how fast, is
> > the same disk also used for other I/O ...
> >
> > Also, CPU is a totally different resource than I/O. While you might have
> > plenty of CPU cycles to spare, your I/O throughput might already be
> > limited. Same goes into the other direction.
> >
> > So it might not be as easy as comparing two numbers. It really depends
> > on the setup. Well, not completely true, with 0% CPU overhead we would
> > have a clear winner with hinting ;)
>
> I mean users need to know about this too.
>
> Are these hinting patches a gain:
> - on zram
> - on ssd
> - on a rotating disk
> - none of the above
> ?
>
> If users don't know when would they enable hinting?
>
> Close to one is going to try all possible configurations, test
> exhaustively and find an optimal default for their workload.
> So it's our job to figure it out and provide guidance.

Right. I think for now I will stick to testing on what I have which is
a SSD for swap, and no-overcommit for the "non of the above" case.

BTW it looks like this patch set introduced a pretty heavy penalty for
the no-overcommit case. For a 32G VM with no overcommit a 32G memhog
test is now taking over 50 seconds whereas without the patch set I can
complete the test in around 20 seconds.