Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] Using XArray to manage the VMA

From: Davidlohr Bueso
Date: Thu Mar 14 2019 - 12:43:52 EST

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

It's probably worth listing the advantages of the Maple Tree over the
rbtree.

I'm not familiar with maple trees, are they referred to by another name?
(is this some sort of B-tree?). Google just shows me real trees.

- Shallower tree. A 1000-entry rbtree is 10 levels deep. A 1000-entry
Maple Tree is 5 levels deep (I did a more detailed analysis in an
earlier email thread with Laurent and I can present it if needed).

I'd be interested in reading on that.

- O(1) prev/next
- Lookups under the RCU lock

There're some second-order effects too; by using externally allocated
nodes, we avoid disturbing other VMAs when inserting/deleting, and we
avoid bouncing cachelines around (eg the VMA which happens to end up
at the head of the tree is accessed by every lookup in the tree because
it's on the way to every other node).

How would maple trees deal with the augmented vma tree (vma gaps) trick
we use to optimize get_unmapped_area?

Thanks,
Davidlohr