Re: endianness swapped

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Sun Apr 28 2019 - 14:48:04 EST

On Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 3:59 PM Greg Ungerer <gerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 28/4/19 7:21 pm, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 10:46 AM Geert Uytterhoeven
> > <geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Coldfire makes the behavior of readw()/readl() depend on the
> > MMIO address, presumably since that was the easiest way to
> > get drivers working originally, but it breaks the assumption
> > in the asm-generic code.
>
> Yes, that is right.
>
> There is a number of common hardware modules that Freescale have
> used in the ColdFire SoC parts and in their ARM based parts (iMX
> families). The ARM parts are pretty much always little endian, and
> the ColdFire is always big endian. The hardware registers in those
> hardware blocks are always accessed in native endian of the processor.

In later Freescale/NXP ARM SoCs (i.MX and Layerscape), we
also get a lot of devices pulled over from PowerPC, with random
endianess. In some cases, the same device that had big-endian
registers originally ends up in two different ARM products and one of
them uses big-endian while the other one uses little-endian registers.

> So the address range checks are to deal with those internal
> hardware blocks (i2c, spi, dma, etc), since we know those are
> at fixed addresses. That leaves the usual endian swapping in place for
> other general (ie external) devices (PCI devices, network chips, etc).

Is there a complete list of coldfire on-chip device drivers?

Looking at some of the drivers:

- drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-imx.c uses only 8-bit accesses and works either way,
same for drivers/tty/serial/mcf.c
- drivers/spi/spi-coldfire-qspi.c is apparently coldfire-only and could use
ioread32be for a portable to do big-endian register access.
- edma-common has a wrapper to support both big-endian and little-endian
configurations in the same kernel image, but the mcf interrupt handler
is hardcoded to the (normally) little-endian ioread32 function.
- drivers/net/ethernet/freescale/fec_main.c is shared between coldfire
and i.MX (but not mpc52xx), and is hardcoded to readl/writel, and
would need the same trick as edma to make it portable.

Arnd