Re: [RFC 7/7] mm: madvise support MADV_ANONYMOUS_FILTER and MADV_FILE_FILTER

From: Daniel Colascione
Date: Tue May 28 2019 - 04:34:44 EST

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 1:14 AM Minchan Kim <minchan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> if we went with the per vma fd approach then you would get this
> > feature automatically because map_files would refer to file backed
> > mappings while map_anon could refer only to anonymous mappings.
>
> The reason to add such filter option is to avoid the parsing overhead
> so map_anon wouldn't be helpful.

Without chiming on whether the filter option is a good idea, I'd like
to suggest that providing an efficient binary interfaces for pulling
memory map information out of processes. Some single-system-call
method for retrieving a binary snapshot of a process's address space
complete with attributes (selectable, like statx?) for each VMA would
reduce complexity and increase performance in a variety of areas,
e.g., Android memory map debugging commands.