Re: [Regression] Commit "nvme/pci: Use host managed power state for suspend" has problems

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Thu Aug 01 2019 - 13:29:51 EST

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 11:06 AM Kai-Heng Feng
<kai.heng.feng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> at 06:33, Rafael J. Wysocki <rafael@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I have to agree. I think your proposal may allow PCI D3cold,
> >
> > Yes, it may.
>
> Somehow the 9380 with Toshiba NVMe never hits SLP_S0 with or without
> Rafaelâs patch.
> But the ârealâ s2idle power consumption does improve with the patch.

Do you mean this patch:

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-pm/70D536BE-8DC7-4CA2-84A9-AFB067BA520E@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/T/#m456aa5c69973a3b68f2cdd4713a1ce83be51458f

or the $subject one without the above?

> Can we use a DMI based quirk for this platform? It seems like a platform
> specific issue.

We seem to see too many "platform-specific issues" here. :-)

To me, the status quo (ie. what we have in 5.3-rc2) is not defensible.
Something needs to be done to improve the situation.

> >> In which case we do need to reintroduce the HMB handling.
> >
> > Right.
>
> The patch alone doesnât break HMB Toshiba NVMe I tested. But I think itâs
> still safer to do proper HMB handling.

Well, so can anyone please propose something specific? Like an
alternative patch?