Re: The patch relocation overflows

From: Steve Wahl
Date: Thu Aug 29 2019 - 11:36:40 EST

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 10:19:55AM -0500, Meyer, Kyle wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>

> My patch series was accepted so I don't have much to work on currently, is
> there anything I can help you with?
>

> Thank you

Why yes, there is!

could not get the kdump kernel to load properly.

I've actually got a fix for it (reverting a commit), but I'm working
on narrowing it down to a fix rather than a revert. I've already
involved the linux list, some details are below, except I typo'd on
the commit hash (missed the first character on the copy / paste), it
should be b059f801a937.

If you could see if you can reproduce the same problem to start with,
you could help me.

Load up SLES12sp4.

Make sure the kernel command line is using crashkernel=512M,high.

Build and install the community kernel.

Reboot into that kernel.

run "systemctl status kdump" until kdump installation completes -- I
get a failure, do you? If not we need to figure out why.

If you run dmesg | tail, you should also see a kexec relocation
overflow message.

After you get that far, we'll see where I'm at and what you can do to
help.

--> Steve

--
Steve Wahl, Hewlett Packard Enterprise