Re: [RFC v4 0/3] vhost: introduce mdev based hardware backend

From: Jason Wang
Date: Mon Sep 16 2019 - 23:32:23 EST

On 2019/9/17 äå9:02, Tiwei Bie wrote:
This RFC is to demonstrate below ideas,

a) Build vhost-mdev on top of the same abstraction defined in
the virtio-mdev series [1];

b) Introduce /dev/vhost-mdev to do vhost ioctls and support
setting mdev device as backend;

Now the userspace API looks like this:

- Userspace generates a compatible mdev device;

- Userspace opens this mdev device with VFIO API (including
doing IOMMU programming for this mdev device with VFIO's
container/group based interface);

- Userspace opens /dev/vhost-mdev and gets vhost fd;

- Userspace uses vhost ioctls to setup vhost (userspace should
do VHOST_MDEV_SET_BACKEND ioctl with VFIO group fd and device
fd first before doing other vhost ioctls);

Only compile test has been done for this series for now.

Have a hard thought on the architecture:

1) Create a vhost char device and pass vfio mdev device fd to it as a backend and translate vhost-mdev ioctl to virtio mdev transport (e.g read/write). DMA was done through the VFIO DMA mapping on the container that is attached.

We have two more choices:

2) Use vfio-mdev but do not create vhost-mdev device, instead, just implement vhost ioctl on vfio_device_ops, and translate them into virtio-mdev transport or just pass ioctl to parent.

3) Don't use vfio-mdev, create a new vhost-mdev driver, during probe still try to add dev to vfio group and talk to parent with device specific ops

So I have some questions:

1) Compared to method 2, what's the advantage of creating a new vhost char device? I guess it's for keep the API compatibility?

2) For method 2, is there any easy way for user/admin to distinguish e.g ordinary vfio-mdev for vhost from ordinary vfio-mdev? I saw you introduce ops matching helper but it's not friendly to management.

3) A drawback of 1) and 2) is that it must follow vfio_device_ops that assumes the parameter comes from userspace, it prevents support kernel virtio drivers.

4) So comes the idea of method 3, since it register a new vhost-mdev driver, we can use device specific ops instead of VFIO ones, then we can have a common API between vDPA parent and vhost-mdev/virtio-mdev drivers.

What's your thoughts?

Thanks

RFCv3: https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/11117785/

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/9/10/135

Tiwei Bie (3):
vfio: support getting vfio device from device fd
vfio: support checking vfio driver by device ops
vhost: introduce mdev based hardware backend

drivers/vfio/mdev/vfio_mdev.c | 3 +-
drivers/vfio/vfio.c | 32 +++
drivers/vhost/Kconfig | 9 +
drivers/vhost/Makefile | 3 +
drivers/vhost/mdev.c | 462 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
drivers/vhost/vhost.c | 39 ++-
drivers/vhost/vhost.h | 6 +
include/linux/vfio.h | 11 +
include/uapi/linux/vhost.h | 10 +