Re: [breakage] panic() does not halt arm64 systems under certain conditions

From: Russell King - ARM Linux admin
Date: Tue Sep 17 2019 - 06:51:55 EST

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 11:45:19AM +0100, Will Deacon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [Expanding CC list; original message is here:
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-arm-kernel/BX1W47JXPMR8.58IYW53H6M5N@dragonstone/]
>
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 09:35:36PM -0400, Xogium wrote:
> > On arm64 in some situations userspace will continue running even after a
> > panic. This means any userspace watchdog daemon will continue pinging,
> > that service managers will keep running and displaying messages in certain
> > cases, and that it is possible to enter via ssh in the now unstable system
> > and to do almost anything except reboot/power off and etc. If
> > CONFIG_PREEMPT=n is set in the kernel's configuration, the issue is fixed.
> > I have reproduced the very same behavior with linux 4.19, 5.2 and 5.3. On
> > x86/x86_64 the issue does not seem to be present at all.
>
> I've managed to reproduce this under both 32-bit and 64-bit ARM kernels.
> The issue is that the infinite loop at the end of panic() can run with
> preemption enabled (particularly when invoking by echoing 'c' to
> /proc/sysrq-trigger), so we end up rescheduling user tasks. On x86, this
> doesn't happen because smp_send_stop() disables the local APIC in
> native_stop_other_cpus() and so interrupts are effectively masked while
> spinning.
>
> A straightforward fix is to disable preemption explicitly on the panic()
> path (diff below), but I've expanded the cc list to see both what others
> think,

Yep, and it looks like this bug goes back into the dim and distant past.
At least to the start of modern git history, 2.6.12-rc2.

> but also in case smp_send_stop() is supposed to have the side-effect
> of disabling interrupt delivery for the local CPU.

That can't fix it. Consider a preemptive non-SMP kernel.
smp_send_stop() becomes a no-op there.

I'd suggest that a preemptive UP kernel on x86 hardware will suffer
this same issue - it will be able to preempt out of this loop and
continue running userspace.

FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 12.1Mbps down 622kbps up
According to speedtest.net: 11.9Mbps down 500kbps up