Re: [RFC] ARM: dts: omap36xx: Enable thermal throttling

From: Daniel Lezcano
Date: Wed Sep 18 2019 - 05:37:54 EST

On 18/09/2019 11:24, Viresh Kumar wrote:
> On 13-09-19, 00:33, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
>>
>> Hi Adam,
>>
>> On 12/09/2019 23:19, Adam Ford wrote:

>> Oh, that's a very interesting use case.
>>
>> AFAICT the thermal framework is not designed to deal with this
>> situation. I agree this setup may work (even if I'm not convinced about
>> the stability of the whole).
>>
>> May be Viresh can help for the cpufreq side?
>
> Sorry but I am not able to understand what's not supported by thermal framework
> here and what can I do to help :)

The solution of preventing running above the 90ÂC by changing the OPPs
is fine and works. It is a way of workaround the spec.

But AFAIU, the specs of the board say the OPPs 800MHz and 1GHz are only
permitted during an amount of time above 90ÂC which makes the constraint
inverted and recall somehow the 'turbo-mode' description:

"
- turbo-mode: Marks the OPP to be used only for turbo modes. Turbo mode
is available on some platforms, where the device can run over its
operating frequency for a short duration of time limited by the device's
power, current and thermal limits.
"

This is where I thought you can give an input.

--
<http://www.linaro.org/> Linaro.org â Open source software for ARM SoCs

Follow Linaro: <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Linaro> Facebook |
<http://twitter.com/#!/linaroorg> Twitter |