Re: Linux 5.3-rc8

From: Alexander E. Patrakov
Date: Wed Sep 18 2019 - 16:15:44 EST

19.09.2019 00:56, Eric W. Biederman ÐÐÑÐÑ:

The cheap solution appears to be copying a random seed from a previous
boot, and I think that will take care of many many cases, and has
already been implemented. Which reduces this to a system first
boot issue.

No, this is not the solution, if we take seriously not only getrandom hangs, but also urandom warnings. In some setups (root on LUKS is one of them) they happen early in the initramfs. Therefore "restoring" entropy from the previous boot by a script that runs from the main system is too late. That's why it is suggested to load at least a part of the random seed in the boot loader, and that has not been commonly implemented.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov