Re: [HELP REQUESTED from the community] Was: Staging status of speakup

From: Gregory Nowak
Date: Wed Sep 18 2019 - 16:30:41 EST

In a previous post above, you wrote:
On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 04:11:00PM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> Anyway, please put the Description: lines without a blank after that,
> with the description text starting on that same line.

I understood that to mean that the description text should start on
the same line, and the blank lines after the description text should
be removed. I've put them back in. Someone more familiar with the
speakup code will have to dig into it to resolve the TODO items I
suppose.

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 03:28:05PM +0200, Didier Spaier wrote:
> Trailing white spaces removed in attachment.
> Alignment LGTM.

Thank you. This is the copy I put the blank lines into, and am
attaching with the original file name.

Greg N

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1

Free domains: http://www.eu.org/ or mail dns-manager@xxxxxx
What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/attrib_bleep
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
foreground or background color when using speakup review
commands. One = on, zero = off.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/bell_pos
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
echoed to bell_pos, it will beep the PC speaker when typing on
a line past character 72.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/bleeps
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
when using speakup's review commands.
TODO: what values does it accept?

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/bleep_time
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
produces.
TODO: What are the units? Jiffies?

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/cursor_time
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
connection is very slow, with the default setting, when moving
with the arrows, or backspacing etc. speakup says the incorrect
characters. Set this to a higher value to adjust for the delay
and better synchronisation between cursor position and speech.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/delimiters
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
TODO: add more info

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/ex_num
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/key_echo
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
zero = off or don't echo keys.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/keymap
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
It uses a binary
format. A special program called genmap is needed to compile a
textual keymap into the binary format which is then loaded into
/sys/accessibility/speakup/keymap.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/no_interrupt
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
no_interrupt set to zero, typing on the keyboard will interrupt
speakup if for example
the say screen command is used before the
entire screen is read.
With no_interrupt set to one, if the say
screen command is used, and one then types on the keyboard,
speakup will continue to say the whole screen regardless until
it finishes.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/punc_all
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
punc_level is set to four.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/punc_level
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
displayed, not reviewed. Levels range from zero no punctuation,
to four, all punctuation. One corresponds to punc_some, two
corresponds to punc_most, and three as well as four both
correspond to punc_all. Some hardware synthesizers may have
different levels each corresponding to three and four for
punc_level. Also note that if punc_level is set to zero, and
key_echo is set to one, typed punctuation is still spoken as it
is typed.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/punc_most
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
punc_level is set to two.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/punc_some
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
punc_level is set to one.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/reading_punc
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
reading_punc controls the level of punctuation when reviewing
the screen with speakup's screen review commands. The other
difference is that reading_punc set to three speaks punc_all,
and reading_punc set to four speaks all punctuation, including
spaces.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/repeats
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
more than three characters in a row, speakup
just reads three of
those characters. For example, "......" would be read as dot,
dot, dot. If a . is added to the list of characters in repeats,
"......" would be read as dot, dot, dot, times six.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/say_control
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
keys are pressed. If say_control is set to zero, shift, ctrl,
and alt are not spoken when they are pressed.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/say_word_ctl
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/silent
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/spell_delay
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
when speakup's say word
review command is pressed twice quickly to speak the current
word being reviewed. Zero just speaks the letters one after
another, while values one through four
seem to introduce more of
a pause between the spelling of each letter by speakup.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/synth
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
synth returns the synthesizer driver currently in use. Writing
synth switches to the given synthesizer driver, provided it is
either built into the kernel, or already loaded as a module.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/synth_direct
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
directly to the speech synthesizer in use, bypassing speakup.
This could be used to make the synthesizer speak
a string, or to
send control sequences to the synthesizer to change how the
synthesizer behaves.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/version
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
of the synthesizer driver currently in use.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/announcements
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cannot be categorized. You will find messages such as "You
killed Speakup", "I'm alive", "leaving help", "parked",
"unparked", and others. You will also find the names of the
screen edges and cursor tracking modes here.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/chartab
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/ctl_keys
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Speakup's say_control feature.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/function_names
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
These are used by the help system. For example, suppose that
you have activated help mode, and you pressed
keypad 3. Speakup
says: "keypad 3 is character, say next."
The message "character, say next" names a Speakup function, and
it comes from this function_names file.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/states
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Again, these are part of the help system. For instance, if you
had pressed speakup + keypad 3, you would hear:
"speakup keypad 3 is go to bottom edge."
The speakup key is depressed, so the name of the key state is
speakup.
This part of the message comes from the states collection.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/characters
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
how Speakup pronounces a given character. You could, for
example, change how some punctuation characters are spoken. You
can even change how Speakup will pronounce certain letters. For
further details see '12. Changing the Pronunciation of
Characters' in Speakup User's Guide (file spkguide.txt in
source).

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/colors
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
name of the foreground and background colors. These names come
from the i18n/colors file.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/formatted
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
specify the type and width of displayed data. If you change
these, you must preserve all of the formatting codes, and they
must appear in the order used by the default messages.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/i18n/key_names
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
previous example, Speakup said that you pressed "keypad 3."
This name came from the key_names file.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/<synth-name>/
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
the synthesizer driver currently in use (E.G) `soft` for the
soft driver. This directory contains files which control the
speech synthesizer itself,
as opposed to controlling the speakup
screen reader. The parameters in this directory have the same
names and functions across all
supported synthesizers. The range
of values for freq, pitch, rate, and vol is the same for all
supported synthesizers, with the given range being internally
mapped by the driver to more or less fit the range of values
supported for a given parameter by the individual synthesizer.
Below is a description of values and parameters for soft
synthesizer, which is currently the most commonly used.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/caps_start
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
to start speaking uppercase letters. For the soft synthesizer
and most others, this causes the pitch of the voice to rise
above the currently set pitch.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/caps_stop
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
speaking uppercase letters. In the case of the soft synthesizer
and most others, this returns the pitch of the voice
down to the
currently set pitch.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/delay_time
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/direct
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
synthesizer.
For example, speakup speaks ">" as "greater", while
the espeak synthesizer used by the soft driver speaks "greater
than". Zero lets speakup speak the punctuation. One lets the
synthesizer itself speak punctuation.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/freq
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
0-9.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/full_time
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/jiffy_delta
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
synthesizer. Setting this too high can make a system unstable,
or even crash it.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/pitch
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/punct
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
synthesizer. The range for the soft driver seems to be 0-2.
TODO: How is this related to speakup's punc_level, or
reading_punc.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/rate
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
slowest, to nine fastest.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/tone
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
the soft driver seems to be 0-2. This seems to make no
difference if using espeak and the espeakup connector.
TODO: does espeakup support different tonalities?

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/trigger_time
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/voice
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
synthesizer can speak in more than one voice. The range for the
soft driver is 0-7. Note that while espeak supports multiple
voices, this parameter will not set the voice when the espeakup
connector is used between speakup and espeak.

What: /sys/accessibility/speakup/soft/vol
KernelVersion: 2.6
Contact: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
with zero being the softest, and nine being the loudest.