Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the driver-core tree

From: Suzuki K Poulose
Date: Wed Sep 18 2019 - 16:52:51 EST

On 09/18/2019 08:07 PM, Greg KH wrote:
On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 12:03:17PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 11:53 AM Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 06:09:52PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

After merging the driver-core tree, today's linux-next build
for arm64 allmodconfig failed like this:

Wait, I thought Linus said this fixup was now resolved. What went
wrong?

I think this is purely a linux-next build failure.

I do full allmodconfig builds between each merge I do, and what
happened is that as part of the LED merge, I removed the
no-longer-used 'i2c_acpi_find_match_adapter()' to resolve that build
warning.

Then linux-next presumably merged my tree with the driver-core tree,
and that re-instated the use of i2c_acpi_find_match_adapter() - which
was now gone.

But when *I* merged the driver-core tree, I did the merge fixup
correctly to actually re-instate not only the use, but also re-instate
the removed function that now had a use again.

Linus, should I submit a fix for this?

My tree should be fine, and I really think this is just a temporary
linux-next effect from the above. I think linux-next only handled the
actual syntactic conflicts, not the semantic conflict of "function had
been removed to avoid build error from previous merge, and needed to
be brought back"

Knock wood.

I looked at your merge of the driver core tree, and see that the
"missing" function is now back.

And I did a test build here and all works for me, so I think this is ok,
thanks for the fixup.

greg k-h

Thanks for the fixup ! Apologies for the inconvenience

Suzuki