Re: pivot_root(".", ".") and the fchdir() dance

From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
Date: Mon Sep 23 2019 - 07:11:03 EST

Hello Eric,

On 9/15/19 8:17 PM, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> "Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)" <mtk.manpages@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Hello Eric,

>>> Ugh. That is close but not quite correct.
>>>
>>> A better explanation:
>>>
>>> The pivot_root system call will never propagate any changes it makes.
>>> The pivot_root system call ensures this is safe by verifying that
>>> none of put_old, the parent of new_root, and parent of the root directory
>>> have a propagation type of MS_SHARED.
>>
>> Thanks for that. However, another question. You text has two changes.
>> First, I understand why you reword the discussion to indicate the
>> _purpose_ of the rules. However, you also, AFAICS, list a different set of
>> of directories that can't be MS_SHARED:
>>
>> I said: new_root, the parent of new_root, and put_old
>> You said: the parent of new_root, and put_old, and parent of the
>> root directory.
>

>> Was I wrong on this detail also?
>
> That is how I read the code. The code says:
>
> if (IS_MNT_SHARED(old_mnt) ||
> IS_MNT_SHARED(new_mnt->mnt_parent) ||
> IS_MNT_SHARED(root_mnt->mnt_parent))
> goto out4;
>
> We both agree on put_old and the parent of new_mnt.
>
> When I look at the code root_mnt comes from the root directory, not new_mnt.

Hmm -- I had checked the code when I wrote my text, but somehow
I misread things. Going back to recheck the code, you are obviously
correct. Thanks for catching that.

> Furthermore those checks fundamentally makes sense as the root directory
> and new_root that are moving. The directory put_old simply has
> something moving onto it.
>
>>> The concern from our conversation at the container mini-summit was that
>>> there is a pathology if in your initial mount namespace all of the
>>> mounts are marked MS_SHARED like systemd does (and is almost necessary
>>> if you are going to use mount propagation), that if new_root itself
>>> is MS_SHARED then unmounting the old_root could propagate.
>>>
>>> So I believe the desired sequence is:

>>> +++ mount("", ".", MS_SLAVE | MS_REC, NULL);
>>>
>>> The change to new new_root could be either MS_SLAVE or MS_PRIVATE. So
>>> long as it is not MS_SHARED the mount won't propagate back to the
>>> parent mount namespace.
>>
>> Thanks. I made that change.
>
> For what it is worth. The sequence above without the change in mount
> attributes will fail if it is necessary to change the mount attributes
> as "." is both put_old as well as new_root.
>
> When I initially suggested the change I saw "." was new_root and forgot
> "." was also put_old. So I thought there was a silent danger without
> that sequence.

So, now I am a little confused by the comments you added here. Do you
now mean that the

mount("", ".", MS_SLAVE | MS_REC, NULL);

call is not actually necessary?

Thanks,

Michael

--