Re: Commit 0be0ee71 ("fs: properly and reliably lock f_pos in fdget_pos()") breaking userspace

From: Kirill Smelkov
Date: Wed Nov 27 2019 - 03:27:38 EST

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 12:03:36PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 7:39 PM Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I think I'll have to revert that trial commit. I'll give it another
> > day in case somebody has a better idea, but it looks like it's too
> > early to do that nice cleanup as things are now.
>
> I've reverted it for now,
>
> I don't want this problem to cause people to report known bugs during
> the merge window. The fact that I saw no issues obviously is just a
> matter of my workloads being too simple.

I see, ok; let's move on incrementally. What is the fate of small
net/socket.c cleanup patch? Should I resend it to netdev or something?

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 04:46:39AM -0800, Kenneth R. Crudup wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Nov 2019, Kirill Smelkov wrote:
>
> > P.S. even though I was put into cc there, somehow I did not received any
> > notification email for commits d8e464ecc17b (vfs: mark pipes and sockets as
> > stream-like file descriptors) and 0be0ee71816b (vfs: properly and
> > reliably lock f_pos in fdget_pos()).
>
> That's my fault; the CC: list for those commits was pretty long and I was
> worried about it appearing like SPAMming anyone who'd signed off on it, so
> I'd punted and sent it to Linus and the LKML only.

I did not mean it was your fault. I was trying to say that there was no
automatic notification just as those commits were pushed to master. And
neither there is for 2be7d348fe92 (Revert "vfs: properly and reliably
lock f_pos in fdget_pos()").

Kirill