Re: [PULL] Documentation for 5.5

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Nov 30 2019 - 18:11:26 EST

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 8:30 AM Jonathan Corbet <corbet@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> git://git.lwn.net/linux.git tags/docs-5.5

You are doing something seriously wrong.

There are DOS line-endings now in some of the patches, and I noticed
because I got a conflict in

Documentation/networking/device_drivers/intel/e100.rst

where your version was identical to one I had merged elsewhere, but
had ^M at the end of the new lines.

There are other examples of the same in other places.

I'm not going to pull this. I have no idea what you're doing and how
many incorrect line endings you have that just didn't happen to
conflict.

You have some *serious* tooling issues. We don't do CRLF line endings.

You can do

git grep "^M"

(where that ^M is obviously the CR character, not the two characters
'^' and 'M" to see it. In a good tree, you'll see

[torvalds@i7 linux]$ git grep "^M"
Binary file Documentation/logo.gif matches

but in your tree, you get an additional 59 lines of that bogus CRLF
garbage in these files:

Documentation/admin-guide/dell_rbu.rst
Documentation/networking/device_drivers/intel/e100.rst
Documentation/networking/device_drivers/intel/e1000.rst
Documentation/networking/device_drivers/intel/e1000e.rst
Documentation/networking/device_drivers/intel/fm10k.rst
Documentation/networking/device_drivers/intel/i40e.rst
Documentation/networking/device_drivers/intel/iavf.rst
Documentation/networking/device_drivers/intel/ice.rst
Documentation/networking/device_drivers/intel/igb.rst
Documentation/networking/device_drivers/intel/igbvf.rst
Documentation/networking/device_drivers/intel/ixgbe.rst
Documentation/networking/device_drivers/intel/ixgbevf.rst
Documentation/networking/device_drivers/pensando/ionic.rst

and I have no idea what you've done to make it do that, but I
definitely don't want the end result in my tree.

Linus