Re: linux-next: manual merge of the tegra tree with the arm-soc tree

From: Thierry Reding
Date: Fri Mar 27 2020 - 09:18:37 EST

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 09:27:41AM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Today's linux-next merge of the tegra tree got conflicts in:
>
> drivers/phy/tegra/Kconfig
> drivers/phy/tegra/xusb.c
>
> between commits:
>
> 5a00c7c7604f ("phy: tegra: xusb: Add usb-role-switch support")
> 23babe30fb45 ("phy: tegra: xusb: Add usb-phy support")
> d74ce0954cb2 ("phy: tegra: xusb: Add support to get companion USB 3 port")
> 58e7bd08b569 ("phy: tegra: xusb: Add Tegra194 support")
>
> from the arm-soc tree and commit:
>
> f67213cee2b3 ("phy: tegra: xusb: Add usb-role-switch support")
> e8f7d2f409a1 ("phy: tegra: xusb: Add usb-phy support")
> 5a40fc4b934c ("phy: tegra: xusb: Add support to get companion USB 3 port")
> 1ef535c6ba8e ("phy: tegra: xusb: Add Tegra194 support")
>
> from the tegra tree.
>
> These are slightly different patches (the latter has been rebased).
> Also there are further commits affecting these files in the tegra tree.
>
> I fixed it up (I just used the version from the tegra tree) and can
> carry the fix as necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next is
> concerned, but any non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your
> upstream maintainer when your tree is submitted for merging. You may
> also want to consider cooperating with the maintainer of the conflicting
> tree to minimise any particularly complex conflicts.

Olof, Arnd,

There was a bit of back and forth on this because there happened to be a
conflict with the USB tree. I tried to clarify this as replies to the PR
request:

http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/1254523/

But I suspect you may have missed those replies. The bottom line is,
there is a v2 of the pull request that has the patches that are now in
the Tegra tree. That's already part of a PR that went in through the USB
tree as a dependency to resolve the conflict.

So as a result there should be no need for ARM SoC to carry that PR. But
if you still want to merge it, please pull v2, which is here:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tegra/linux.git tags/tegra-for-5.7-phy-v2

Sorry for the confusion,
Thierry