Re: violating function pointer signature

From: Nick Desaulniers
Date: Thu Nov 19 2020 - 20:32:15 EST

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 9:05 AM Alexei Starovoitov
<alexei.starovoitov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 6:59 AM Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Linux obviously
> > supports multiple architectures (more than any other OS), but it is pretty
> > stuck to gcc as a compiler (with LLVM just starting to work too).
> >
> > We are fine with being stuck to a compiler if it gives us what we want.
>
> I beg to disagree.
> android, chrome and others changed their kernel builds to
> "make LLVM=1" some time ago.
> It's absolutely vital for the health of the kernel to be built with
> both gcc and llvm.

Our fleet of machines in the data centers is currently mid-ramp, at
around or slightly just over 50% of kernels built with Clang. Soon to
be 100%. So "a good chunk of Google services," too, FWIW.

OpenMandriva is on track for their 4.2 release to use LLVM for their kernels.
--
Thanks,
~Nick Desaulniers