Re: [git pull] sendfile fixes

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Feb 14 2021 - 14:38:24 EST

On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 7:19 AM Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Making sendfile() to pipe destination do the right thing, should
> make "fs/pipe: allow sendfile() to pipe again" redundant. Sat in -next
> for 3 weeks...

Just to clarify: this says "fixes", but I get the feeling that you
meant for me to pull tomorrow in the 5.12 merge window?

I like the patches, but they don't seem to be anything hugely urgent.
They should make "sendfile to pipe" more efficient, but the current
hack is _workable_ (and not any worse than what we historically did)
even if it's not optimal.

Right?

Oh, and it looks like the first line of the commit message of
313d64a35d36 ("do_splice_to(): move the logics for limiting the read
length in") got truncated somehow..

Linus