Re: [RFC 2/3] net: Provide switchdev driver for NXP's More Than IP L2 switch

From: Lukasz Majewski
Date: Fri Jun 25 2021 - 05:59:50 EST

Hi Andrew,

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 04:35:42PM +0200, Lukasz Majewski wrote:
> > Hi Andrew,

> > > I don't know if it applies to the FEC, but switches often have
> > > registers which control which egress port an ingress port can send
> > > packets to. So by default, you allow CPU to port0, CPU to port1,
> > > but block between port0 to port1. This would give you two
> > > independent interface, the switch enabled, and using one DMA.
> > > When the bridge is configured, you simply allow port0 and
> > > send/receive packets to/from port1. No change to the DMA setup,
> > > etc.
> >
> > Please correct me if I misunderstood this concept - but it seems
> > like you refer to the use case where the switch is enabled, and by
> > changing it's "allowed internal port's" mapping it decides if
> > frames are passed between engress ports (port1 and port2).
>
> Correct.
>

> > ----------
> > DMA0 -> |P0 P1| -> ENET-MAC (PHY control) -> eth0 (lan1)
> > |L2 SW |
> > | P2| -> ENET-MAC (PHY control) -> eth1 (lan2)
> > ----------
> >
> > DMA1 (not used)
> >
> > We can use this approach when we keep always enabled L2 switch.
> >
> > However now in FEC we use the "bypass" mode, where:
> > DMA0 -> ENET-MAC (FEC instance driver 1) -> eth0
> > DMA1 -> ENET-MAC (FEC instance driver 2) -> eth1
> >
> > And the "bypass" mode is the default one.
>
> Which is not a problem, when you refactor the FEC into a library and a
> driver, plus add a new switch driver. When the FEC loads, it uses
> bypass mode, the switch disabled. When the new switch driver loads, it
> always enables the switch, but disables communication between the two
> ports until they both join the same bridge.

Ok, the proposed idea would be to use FEC (refactored) on devices which
are not equipped with the switch.

On devices, which have this IP block (like vf610, imx287) we would use
the driver with switch enabled and then in switch either bridge or
separate the traffic?

> But i doubt we are actually getting anywhere. You say you don't have
> time to write a new driver.

Yes, I believe that this would be a very time consuming task. Joakim
also pointed out that the rewrite from NXP will not happen anytime soon.

> I'm not convinced you can hack the FEC
> like you are suggesting

I do believe that I can just extend the L2 switch driver (fec_mtip.c
file to be precise) to provide full blown L2 switch functionality
without touching the legacy FEC more than in this patch set.

Would you consider applying this patch series then?

> and not end up in the mess the cpsw had,
> before they wrote a new driver.

I do see some conceptual differences between those two drivers.

> Andrew

Best regards,

Lukasz Majewski

--

DENX Software Engineering GmbH, Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-59 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: lukma@xxxxxxx