Re: [tip:locking/core] tools/memory-model: Add extra ordering for locks and remove it for ordinary release/acquire

From: Boqun Feng
Date: Fri Sep 10 2021 - 06:06:03 EST

On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 11:33:25AM +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 08:01:14AM +0800, Boqun Feng wrote:

> > > I agree with Will here. If the AMOSWAP above is actually implemented with
> > > a RISC-V AMO, then the two critical sections will be separated as if RW,RW,
> > > as Peter described. If instead it's implemented using LR/SC, then RISC-V
> >
> > Just out of curiosity, in the following code, can the store S and load L
> > be reordered?
> >
> > WRITE_ONCE(x, 1); // store S
> > FENCE RW, W
> > WRITE_ONCE(s.lock, 0); // unlock(s)
> > AMOSWAP %0, 1, s.lock // lock(s)
> > FENCE R, RW
> > r1 = READ_ONCE(y); // load L
> >
> > I think they can, because neither "FENCE RW, W" nor "FENCE R, RW" order
> > them.
>
> I'm confused by your argument, per the above quoted section, those
> fences and the AMO combine into a RW,RW ordering which is (as per the
> later clarification) multi-copy-atomic, aka smp_mb().

Right, my question is more about the reasoning about why fence rw,w +
AMO + fence r,rw act as a fence rw,rw. Another related question, can
fence rw,w + store + fence w,rw act as a fence rw,rw by the similar
reasoning? IOW, will the two loads in the following be reordered?

r1 = READ_ONCE(x);
FENCE RW, W
WRITE_ONCE(z, 1);
FENCE W, RW
r2 = READ_ONCE(y);

again, this is more like a question out of curiosity, not that I find
this pattern is useful.

Regards,
Boqun