Re: [GIT PULL] Misc driver fix for 5.15-rc1

From: Kees Cook
Date: Sun Sep 12 2021 - 15:44:26 EST

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 12:22:39PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 12:17 PM Kees Cook <keescook@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > This was done to deal with the various mangling of reports (i.e.
> > "summaries") I've been getting from CI systems that run LKDTM.
>
> .. and what makes LKDTM so special?
>
> IOW, what about ALL THE OTHER REPORTS?

I'm not sure I consider it "special", but since it reports hints about the
build/test configuration combinations (i.e. "this test failed probably
because CONFIG_FOO is missing"), it seemed trivial to also include the
specifics of the version and arch.

> And no, my argument is most definitely not "ok, everything should do this".

Right, I completely understand that. If you really want it gone, I
will rip it out; it'll just make it more time consuming to analyze some
CI reports.

> It's the reverse. The CI systems should be the ones that are fixed,
> not random messages from random places in the kernel have version
> information added.

Completely agreed, and I've been _also_ been spending my time sending
patches[1] to CI tooling too, trying to solve this from both sides. But
not all CIs have the source for their machinery open for patching. :(

-Kees

[1] https://github.com/Linaro/test-definitions/commit/8bd338bbcfa5a03efcf1d12e25b5d341d5a29cbc

--
Kees Cook