Re: Linux 5.15-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Sep 13 2021 - 15:51:53 EST

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 12:00 PM Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> With an older kernel you may experience the stall when accessing the vpd
> attribute of this device in sysfs.

Honestly, that old behavior seems to be the *much* better behavior.

A synchronous stall at boot time is truly annoying, and a pain to deal
with (and debug).

That pci_vpd_read() function is clearly NOT designed to deal with
boot-time callers in the first place, so I think that commit is simply
wrong.

And yes, I see that "128ms timeout". If it was _one_ timeout, that
would be one thing,. But it looks like it's repeated over and over.

Not acceptable at boot time. Not at all.

Bjorn. Please revert. Or I can do it.

Linus