Re: Splitting struct page into multiple types - Was: re: Folio discussion recap -

From: Kent Overstreet
Date: Wed Oct 20 2021 - 13:47:01 EST

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 01:54:20AM +0800, Gao Xiang wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 06:34:19PM +0100, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > It looks like this will be quite a large change to how erofs handles
> > compressed blocks, but if you're open to taking this on, I'd be very happy.
>
> For ->lru, it's quite small, but it sacrifices the performance. Yet I'm
> very glad to do if some decision of this ->lru field is determined.

I would be very appreciative if you were willing to do the work, and I know
others would be too. These kinds of cleanups may seem small individually, but
they make a _very_ real difference when we're looking kernel-wide at how
possible these struct page changes may be - and even if they don't happen, it
really helps understandability of the code if we can move towards a single
struct field always being used for a single purpose in our core data types.