Re: Linux 5.15

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Sun Oct 31 2021 - 20:28:12 EST

On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 02:09:07PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> It's been calm, and I have no excuse to add an extra rc, so here we
> are, with v5.15 pushed out, and the merge window starting tomorrow.
>
> Which is going to be a bit inconvenient for me, since I also have some
> conference travel coming up. But it's only a couple of days and I'll
> have my laptop with me. Sometimes the release timing works out, and
> sometimes it doesn't..
>
> Anyway, the last week of 5.15 was mainly networking and gpu fixes,
> with some random sprinkling of other things (a few btrfs reverts, some
> kvm updates, minor other fixes here and there - a few architecture
> fixes, couple of tracing, small driver fixes etc). Full shortlog
> appended.
>
> This release may have started out with some -Werror pain, but it
> calmed down fairly quickly and on the whole 5.15 was fair small and
> calm. Let's hope for more of the same - without Werror issues this
> time - for the upcoming merge window.

Here are my test results:

Build results:
total: 154 pass: 153 fail: 1
Failed builds:
m68k:allmodconfig
Qemu test results:
total: 480 pass: 480 fail: 0

The build error is:

Building m68k:allmodconfig ... failed
--------------
Error log:
In file included from include/linux/string.h:20,
from include/linux/bitmap.h:10,
from include/linux/cpumask.h:12,
from include/linux/smp.h:13,
from include/linux/lockdep.h:14,
from include/linux/spinlock.h:63,
from include/linux/mmzone.h:8,
from include/linux/gfp.h:6,
from include/linux/slab.h:15,
from drivers/nvme/target/discovery.c:7:
In function 'memcpy_and_pad',
inlined from 'nvmet_execute_disc_identify' at drivers/nvme/target/discovery.c:268:2:
arch/m68k/include/asm/string.h:72:25: error: '__builtin_memcpy' reading 8 bytes from a region of size 7

Another instance of the same problem:

In function 'memcpy_and_pad',
inlined from 'nvmet_execute_identify_ctrl' at drivers/nvme/target/admin-cmd.c:372:2:
arch/m68k/include/asm/string.h:72:25: error: '__builtin_memcpy' reading 8 bytes from a region of size 7

This is seen with gcc 11.1 and 11.2. gcc 10.3 builds fine.
The code in question is

memcpy_and_pad(id->fr, sizeof(id->fr),
UTS_RELEASE, strlen(UTS_RELEASE), ' ');

and UTS_RELEASE is "5.15.0". I have no idea what might be wrong with the code.
Does anyone have an idea ? Do I need to revert to gcc 10.3 for m68k ?

Thanks,
Guenter