Re: sched: some non-GPL symbols becoming GPL-only with CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT enabled

From: Angelo Haller
Date: Sun Nov 28 2021 - 11:24:15 EST

On 28/11/2021 04.46, Oleksandr Natalenko wrote:
Hello.

On neděle 28. listopadu 2021 1:07:49 CET Angelo Haller wrote:
Greetings. I hope I picked the right mailing list, as this issue might
be one that affects various subsystems and components:

When compiling kernel 5.15 (and 5.16-rc2) with `CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT`
enabled, some of the symbols being exported as `EXPORT_SYMBOL` suddenly
become `EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL` through transitive effects.

In particular the symbols `migrate_enable` and `migrate_disable` are
currently marked as `EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL` - yet are called from multiple
functions that are marked as `EXPORT_SYMBOL`.

Here an (incomplete?) listing of call sites I came across:

kernel/locking/spinlock_rt.c - rt_spin_unlock()
kernel/locking/spinlock_rt.c - rt_read_unlock()
kernel/locking/spinlock_rt.c - rt_write_unlock()
mm/highmem.c - kunmap_local_indexed()

The issue I'm facing in particular is kmap_atomic() calling
`migrate_disable` and therefore suddenly becoming GPL-only. This breaks
the out-of-tree CDDL licensed module ZFS and has been reported before
already [0]. The conversation seemingly going nowhere - or patches at
least not being applied upstream. Downstream issue for reference [1].

What about going the other way around and let ZFS be re-licensed under GPL?

That would be lovely but is unlikely to ever happen. Numerous people have tried over the years - many, including me, would love for ZFS to be mainlined but unless Oracle decides to re-license the original code this will most likely not happen [3].

This is not really the main issue I was trying to highlight though.
What I was highlighting is the fact that exported symbols change license depending on the kconfig!
This will randomly stop dkms modules from building depending on my (or my distributions) kconfig. To me as a user this effectively BREAKS user space.
And yes, I am aware exported symbols are not syscalls but I thought there was at least some type of stability guarantee within the same kernel version. Maybe my thoughts on that matter are incorrect though.

[3] https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/issues/8314
As the original implementation of `migrate_enable` and `migrate_disable`
is apparently by Peter Zijlstra [2]. Peter would you be willing to
re-license both symbols `migrate_enable` and `migrate_disable` as
`EXPORT_SYMBOL`?

The bigger issue I'm seeing though is that there is currently no
automated test to uncover exported symbols changing their license
depending on build configuration? I am not intimately familiar with the
API guarantees the kernel gives, but this seems like a violation. There
might be other symbols with similar licensing problems.

I can open a bugzilla ticket too - if that is preferred.

Angelo

[0]
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-rt-users/20201208212841.694b3022@orivej.orivej
.org/T/ [1] https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/issues/11097
[2]
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rt/linux-rt-devel.git/diff/p
atches/0009-sched-Add-migrate_disable.patch?h=v5.9-rc8-rt14-patches&id=9a89b
fdb3bc77aecdd0ff8cc69b595541c7b50c4