Re: Linux 5.16-rc3

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Sun Nov 28 2021 - 21:01:16 EST

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 02:21:20PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> So rc3 is usually a bit larger than rc2 just because people had some
> time to start finding things.
>
> So too this time, although it's not like this is a particularly big
> rc3. Possibly partly due to the past week having been Thanksgiving
> week here in the US. But the size is well within the normal range, so
> if that's a factor, it's not been a big one.
>
> The diff for rc3 is mostly drivers, although part of that is just
> because of the removal of a left-over MIPS Netlogic driver which makes
> the stats look a bit wonky, and is over a third of the whole diff just
> in itself.
>
> If you ignore that part, the statistics look a bit more normal, but
> drivers still dominate (network drivers, sound and gpu are the big
> ones, but there is noise all over). Other than that there's once again
> a fair amount of selftest (mostly networking), along with core
> networking, some arch updates - the bulk of it from a single arm64
> uaccess patch, although that's mostly because it's all pretty small -
> and random other changes.
>
> Full shortlog below.
>
> Please test,

Build results:
total: 153 pass: 152 fail: 1
Failed builds:
mips:allmodconfig
Qemu test results:
total: 482 pass: 482 fail: 0

Building mips:allmodconfig ... failed
--------------
Error log:
ERROR: modpost: missing MODULE_LICENSE() in drivers/pci/controller/pcie-mt7621.o
ERROR: modpost: "mips_cm_unlock_other" [drivers/pci/controller/pcie-mt7621.ko] undefined!
ERROR: modpost: "mips_cpc_base" [drivers/pci/controller/pcie-mt7621.ko] undefined!
ERROR: modpost: "mips_cm_lock_other" [drivers/pci/controller/pcie-mt7621.ko] undefined!
ERROR: modpost: "mips_cm_is64" [drivers/pci/controller/pcie-mt7621.ko] undefined!
ERROR: modpost: "mips_gcr_base" [drivers/pci/controller/pcie-mt7621.ko] undefined!

There is still no fix for the mips:allmodconfig build problem as far
as I can see. It is a bit odd, because the fix would be as simple as

config PCIE_MT7621
- tristate "MediaTek MT7621 PCIe Controller"
- depends on (RALINK && SOC_MT7621) || (MIPS && COMPILE_TEST)
+ bool "MediaTek MT7621 PCIe Controller"
+ depends on SOC_MT7621 || (MIPS && COMPILE_TEST)
select PHY_MT7621_PCI
default SOC_MT7621
help

Context: tristate doesn't make sense here because both RALINK and
SOC_MT7621 are bool. Also, RALINK is redundant because SOC_MT7621
already depends on it. The compile failure is due to missing exported
symbols, and it is only seen if PCIE_MT7621=m - which is only possible
if COMPILE_TEST=y. In other words, the dependencies above are set such
that test builds, and only test builds, fail.

The problem was introduced with commit 2bdd5238e756 ("PCI: mt7621:
Add MediaTek MT7621 PCIe host controller driver"). Copying some of
those responsible to see if we can expect a solution sometime soon.

Guenter