Re: perf version issues

From: John Garry
Date: Tue Mar 22 2022 - 18:17:44 EST

On 22/03/2022 20:11, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
I have been finding that during my development that the output from "perf
-v" may be incorrect in certain circumstances. I sent some patches to fix it
up:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-perf-users/1645449409-158238-1-git-send-email-john.garry@xxxxxxxxxx/T/#mf7234d2e331a53370c148eb4a0633d405a5c6832

Is there some issue that these cannot be processed?
So, while testing it I noticed that if we use 'git cherry-pick' it
doesn't trigger a rebuild, even having a new head:-\

I.e. with the two patches in at the HEAD, try:

$ git log --oneline -2
cb66befccba18fac (HEAD -> perf/core) perf tools: Fix version kernel tag
4e666cdb06eede20 perf tools: Fix dependency for version file creation
$ make -C tools/perf O=/tmp/build/perf install-bin
$ perf -v
perf version 5.17.rc8.gcb66befccba1

Ok so far, now lets remove HEAD and leave just the first patch, that has
the ORIG_HEAD dependency to trigger a rebuild:

$ git reset --hard HEAD~
HEAD is now at 4e666cdb06eede20 perf tools: Fix dependency for version file creation
$ make -C tools/perf O=/tmp/build/perf install-bin
$ perf -v
perf version 5.17.rc8.g4e666cdb06ee

Ok, detected and rebuilt, perf -v works as expected.

ok, good

Now lets try cherry picking your second patch:

$ git cherry-pick cb66befccba18fac
[perf/core 8ff6a6c06a90a362] perf tools: Fix version kernel tag
Author: John Garry<john.garry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon Feb 21 21:16:49 2022 +0800
$ make -C tools/perf O=/tmp/build/perf install-bin
$ perf -v
perf version 5.17.rc8.g4e666cdb06ee

Now it doesn´t notice it and there is no automatic rebuild triggered, we
stay with the cset from before the cherry-pick:-\

$ git log --oneline -2
8ff6a6c06a90a362 (HEAD -> perf/core) perf tools: Fix version kernel tag
4e666cdb06eede20 perf tools: Fix dependency for version file creation
$

Anyway, your patch works for some cases, so its an improvement and I'll
apply it, we can continue from there.

Thanks,

I just noticed the "reset --hard HEAD^" problem and not cherry-pick'ing. Let me check this tomorrow.

john