Re: [RFC v1 net-next 6/8] net: dsa: felix: populate mac_capabilities for all ports

From: Colin Foster
Date: Mon Sep 12 2022 - 12:04:21 EST

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 03:52:35PM +0000, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 08:47:47AM -0700, Colin Foster wrote:
> > > This is true. I am also a bit surprised at Colin's choices to
> > > (a) not ask the netdev maintainers to pull into net-next the immutable
> > > branch that Lee provided here:
> > > https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/YxrjyHcceLOFlT%2Fc@xxxxxxxxxx/
> > > and instead send some patches for review which are difficult to
> > > apply directly to any tree
> >
> > As mentioned in the cover letter, I don't expect this to necessarily be
> > ready by the next merge window. But seemingly I misjudged whether
> > merging the net-next and Lee's tree would be more tedious for the netdev
> > maintainers than looking at the RFC for reviewers. I'm trying to create
> > as little hassle for people as I can. Apologies.
>
> What is it exactly that is keeping this patch set from being ready for 6.1?
> There's still time...
>
> It mostly looks ok to me, I'm in the process of reviewing it. You
> mentioned documentation in the cover letter; I suppose you're talking
> about dt-schema? If so, I just started off by converting ocelot.txt to
> mscc,ocelot.yaml, since I know that the conversion process is typically
> a bit daunting to even start.
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/netdevbpf/patch/20220912153702.246206-1-vladimir.oltean@xxxxxxx/

Yes - checkpatch correclty gave warnings about mscc,vsc7512-ext-switch being
undocumented. Thanks for that patch - I just saw it! I'll wait for your
review before I get optimistic. But if it boils down to separating the
last patch (per Lee's suggestion) and adding the dt-bindings, maybe it
could be ready in another round or two.