Re: [RFC/PATCH] backlight: hx8357: prepare to conversion to gpiod API

From: Daniel Thompson
Date: Thu Oct 06 2022 - 06:05:10 EST

On Thu, Oct 06, 2022 at 11:03:15AM +0200, Linus Walleij wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2022 at 10:35 PM Dmitry Torokhov
> <dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > Dmitry, could you fix this? Just patch away in gpiolib-of.c.
> >
> > Sure, I'll add a few quirks. I wonder what is the best way to merge
> > this? I can create a bunch of IBs to be pulled, or I can send quirks to
> > you/Bartosz and once they land send the patches to drivers...
>
> When I did it I was sufficiently convinced that I was the only one patching
> the quirks in gpiolib-of.c that merge window so I just included it as
> a hunk in the driver patch. If there will be some more patches to that
> file I guess some separate patch(es) for gpiolib-of.c is needed, maybe
> an immutable branch for those if it becomes a lot.

Are renames likely to be a common quirk on the road to libgpiod
conversion?

I admit I sort of expected it to be common enough that there would be
one rename quirk in the code supported by an alphabetized string table.
Such a table would certainly still provoke troublesome merges but ones
that are trivially resolved.

Daniel.