Re: [GIT PULL] Rust for 6.2

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Dec 12 2022 - 20:18:27 EST

On Sat, Dec 10, 2022 at 4:56 PM <ojeda@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> - String and formatting: new types `CString`, `CStr`, `BStr` and
> `Formatter`; new macros `c_str!`, `b_str!` and `fmt!`.

Heh. You have an unusual habit of using the back-tick instead of the
regular single quote character. It's not wrong, just surprising. I
ended up just replacing it with the regular single quote.

Maybe I'm biased against it, because I grew up with it being a dead
key, and while my current keyboard has it very easily accessible, in
many situations it's actually very inconvenient (ie it ends up being a
dead key to generate acute grave on many European keyboard layouts).

Anyway, not a big deal. Just odd enough for me to react to that thing.

At least you didn't do the thing where you are trying to match it with
the tick going the *other* way (which doesn't even exist in ASCII and
requires UTF-8), which is literally impossible to type without going
through strange contortions.

Or, worse yet, do the crazy traditional "pair apostrophe with
backtick" that also looks very ugly in most fonts because the two
characters aren't even visually symmetrical in modern fonts and often
have different weights.

So it's unusual, and I edited it in the commit message, but it's not
one of the actively horrid options.

Linus