Re: [GIT PULL] Rust for 6.2

From: Miguel Ojeda
Date: Tue Dec 13 2022 - 06:27:05 EST

On Tue, Dec 13, 2022 at 2:18 AM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Heh. You have an unusual habit of using the back-tick instead of the
> regular single quote character. It's not wrong, just surprising. I
> ended up just replacing it with the regular single quote.

As Nick pointed out, it is indeed Markdown. Rust code uses it e.g. for
function docs, so we use it for commit messages too and so on, which
makes it nice to copy-paste content from one part to the other etc.

When I wrote the tag message, I wondered whether to use the single
quotes, since I knew you keep consistent merge messages, but didn't
know if that included editing quotes. Thus I decided to just give it a
go and see what you edited or not for the next time.

> Maybe I'm biased against it, because I grew up with it being a dead
> key, and while my current keyboard has it very easily accessible, in
> many situations it's actually very inconvenient (ie it ends up being a
> dead key to generate acute grave on many European keyboard layouts).

Yeah, I share that pain in the usual Spanish layout... Until Markdown
started to become popular, I never used that key.

Since it is essentially a "normalized" plain text format (i.e. close
to what one would write anyway), I started using it for my notes at
some point given the growing support in text editors and websites, and
eventually in my emails too.

Cheers,
Miguel