Re: [GIT PULL] zstd changes for v6.3-rc1

From: Nick Terrell
Date: Fri Mar 03 2023 - 12:54:08 EST

> On Mar 3, 2023, at 9:28 AM, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> !-------------------------------------------------------------------|
> This Message Is From an External Sender
>
> |-------------------------------------------------------------------!
>
> On Thu, Mar 2, 2023 at 10:23 PM Nick Terrell <terrelln@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Zstd fixes for v6.3
>
> Grr.
>
> This tree had five commits in it.
>
> Of the five, two were merges.
>
> And of those two, ABSOLUTELY NONE had any explanation for them AT ALL.
>
> Honestly, I pulled this, and was then *so* fed up with this kind of
> garbage that I just decided that I'm better off without this all.
>
> So this got all undone again, and I'm not pulling this kind of sh*t again.
>
> I'm *very* fed up with having to tell people the same thing over and over again.
>
> Just stop doing merges if you can't be bothered to do do them right.

I’m sorry, I thought this was standard practice for merging in the mainline branch.
I’ve been following this article [0], which recommended not rebasing my public
trees, so I merged in the mainline kernel instead.

I am a newer maintainer, and either I missed the documentation, or it slipped my
mind. I will search for documentation about how to write better merge requests.

Meanwhile, what do you want me to do with this tree? If the merges are unacceptable,
I can rebase the 3 patches in my tree onto v6.2, and re-send the pull request.

Best,
Nick Terrell

[0] https://lwn.net/Articles/512720/