Re: [GIT PULL] zstd changes for v6.3-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Mar 03 2023 - 12:59:32 EST

On Fri, Mar 3, 2023 at 9:54 AM Nick Terrell <terrelln@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I’m sorry, I thought this was standard practice for merging in the mainline branch.

Absolutely NOT.

I have harped on "DO NOT DO BACK MERGES" for closer to two _decades_ by now.

When you do zstd development, you should normally have absolutely
*ZERO* reason to merge non-zstd work.

> I’ve been following this article [0], which recommended not rebasing my public
> trees, so I merged in the mainline kernel instead.

Half right.

You should not rebase your public trees.

But you should not merge mainline either.

Exactly what relevance does <N> *thousand* driver updates have to zstd?

There are reasons to merge, but they have to be real, explicit, and
MENTIONED IN THE MERGE.

And no, "update to latest" is simply not a reason.

When close to half the commits are pointless merges that have no
explanation, I will not pull (if I notice).

Linus