Re: [Regression] rt2800usb - Wifi performance issues and connection drops

From: Alexander Wetzel
Date: Wed Mar 08 2023 - 06:41:42 EST

On 08.03.23 08:52, Felix Fietkau wrote:

I'm also planning to provide some more debug patches, to figuring out
which part of commit 4444bc2116ae ("wifi: mac80211: Proper mark iTXQs
for resumption") fixes the issue for you. Assuming my understanding
above is correct the patch should not really fix/break anything for
you...With the findings above I would have expected your git bisec to
identify commit a790cc3a4fad ("wifi: mac80211: add wake_tx_queue
callback to drivers") as the first broken commit...
I can't point to any specific series of events where it would go wrong, but I suspect that the problem might be the fact that you're doing tx scheduling from within ieee80211_handle_wake_tx_queue. I don't see how it's properly protected from potentially being called on different CPUs concurrently.

Back when I was debugging some iTXQ issues in mt76, I also had problems when tx scheduling could happen from multiple places. My solution was to have a single worker thread that handles tx, which is scheduled from the wake_tx_queue op.
Maybe you could do something similar in mac80211 for non-iTXQ drivers.

I think it's already doing all of that:
ieee80211_handle_wake_tx_queue() is the mac80211 implementation for the wake_tx_queue op. The drivers without native iTXQ support simply link it to this handler.

Alexander