Re: AUTOSEL process

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Sun Mar 12 2023 - 00:11:06 EST

On Sun, Mar 12, 2023 at 05:41:07AM +0100, Willy Tarreau wrote:

> I suspect that having an option to keep the message ID in the footer (a
> bit like the "cherry-picked from" tag but instead "blongs to series")
> could possibly help. And when no such info is present we could have
> one ID generated per "git am" execution since usually if you apply an
> mbox, it constitutes a series (but not always of course, though it's
> not difficult to arrange series like this).

As I pointed out earlier, some of us are adding the message ID in the
footer alrady, using a Link tag. This is even documented already in
the Kernel Maintainer's Handbook, so I'm pretty sure it's not just me. :-)

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/maintainer/configure-git.html#creating-commit-links-to-lore-kernel-org

This is quite sufficient to extract out the full patch series given a
particular patch. The b4 python script does this this; given a single
Message-Id, it can find all of the other patches in the series. I
won't say that it it's "trivial", but the code already exists, and you
can copy and paste it from b4. Or just have your script shell out to
"b4 am -o /tmp/scratchdir $MSGID"

- Ted