Re: AUTOSEL process

From: Jan Kara
Date: Tue Mar 14 2023 - 10:13:28 EST

On Sun 12-03-23 00:09:47, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 12, 2023 at 05:41:07AM +0100, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> >
> > I suspect that having an option to keep the message ID in the footer (a
> > bit like the "cherry-picked from" tag but instead "blongs to series")
> > could possibly help. And when no such info is present we could have
> > one ID generated per "git am" execution since usually if you apply an
> > mbox, it constitutes a series (but not always of course, though it's
> > not difficult to arrange series like this).
>
> As I pointed out earlier, some of us are adding the message ID in the
> footer alrady, using a Link tag. This is even documented already in
> the Kernel Maintainer's Handbook, so I'm pretty sure it's not just me. :-)

Yeah, given Linus' rants about links pointing to patch posting, what I'm
currently doing is that I add Message-ID: tag to the patch instead of a
Link: tag. It preserves the information as well and it is obvious to human
reader what are links to reports / discussions and what is just a link to
patch posting.

Honza

--
Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxxx>