Re: AUTOSEL process

From: Eric Biggers
Date: Mon Mar 13 2023 - 14:55:46 EST

On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 06:41:49PM +0100, Greg KH wrote:
> > (Even just stable-kernel-rules.rst is totally incorrect these days.)
>
> I do not understand this, what is not correct?
>
> It's how to get patches merged into stable kernels, we go
> above-and-beyond that for those developers and maintainers that do NOT
> follow those rules. If everyone followed them, we wouldn't be having
> this discussion at all :)

The entire list of rules for what patches are accepted into stable. This is a
longstanding issue that has been reiterated many times in the past, see
https://lore.kernel.org/stable/20220924182124.GA19210@xxxxxxxxxx for example.

The fact is, many people *do* follow the rules exactly by *not* tagging commits
for stable when they don't meet the documented eligibility criteria. But then
the stable maintainers backport the commits anyway, as the real eligibility
criteria are *much* more relaxed than what is documented.

- Eric